As a concession purveyor, you need to have the right equipment to serve your customers and make a profit. But should you rent or buy your concession equipment? It’s a common question for businesses just starting out with a new product, and there are pros and cons to both options. At Allen Associates, we’re here to help you make the best decision for your business with our Proven Profit Programs and expert advice. In this article, we’ll explore the advantages and disadvantages of renting and buying concession equipment, so you can make an informed decision.
Renting Concession Equipment
The Pros of Renting Concession Equipment
Renting concession equipment can be a good option for businesses that are just starting out with a new product, or for those that only need equipment for a short period of time. Some advantages of renting include:
- Lower upfront costs: Renting equipment means you won’t have to make a large upfront investment, which can be a big advantage for businesses with limited budgets.
- Access to specialized equipment: Allen Associates has a wide variety of equipment available, including specialized options (like sub-zero Mini Melt freezers) that may be expensive to purchase outright.
- Maintenance and repair included: Rental companies usually take care of maintenance and repairs for their equipment, which can save you time and money in the long run.
The Cons of Renting Concession Equipment
While renting can have its advantages, there are also some disadvantages to consider:
- Higher long-term costs: While renting may seem cheaper in the short term, the costs can add up over time. Renting equipment for multiple seasons can end up being more expensive than buying in the long run.
- Limited customization: Rental equipment may not be customizable to your specific needs, which can limit your options for menu items and presentation.
- Availability and scheduling: Renting equipment means you’ll need to coordinate with the rental company to ensure availability and schedule equipment pickup and drop-off, which can be an added stress.
Buying Concession Equipment
The Pros of Buying Concession Equipment
Buying your concession equipment outright can also have its advantages:
- Long-term savings: While the upfront costs of buying may be higher, long-term savings can be significant. Owning your equipment means you won’t have to pay rental fees for multiple seasons. It’s also an asset that you can add to your portfolio.
- Customization: Owning your equipment gives you more control over customization, allowing you to create unique and personalized menu items.
- Availability and convenience: You’ll have access to your equipment whenever you need it, without having to coordinate with a rental company.
The Cons of Buying Concession Equipment
Of course, there are also some disadvantages to buying your concession equipment:
- Higher upfront costs: Buying equipment outright means making a larger upfront investment, which can be a challenge for businesses with limited budgets.
- Maintenance and repair costs: Owning your equipment also means you’re responsible for maintenance and repairs, which can be costly over time.
- Limited access to new and specialized equipment: Buying equipment means you’ll only have access to the equipment you purchase, limiting your options for newer and more specialized items.
Which Option is Best for Your Business?
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer to the question of renting vs. buying concession equipment. It ultimately depends on your individual needs, circumstances, and business goals. If you’re just starting out or operating on a tight budget, renting may be the better option. If you have the means to make a larger initial investment and want more control over your equipment, purchasing may be the way to go. Ultimately, it’s important to carefully weigh the pros and cons of both options before making a decision that will impact your concession business for years to come.
At Allen Associates, we can help you make the best decision for your business with our Proven Profit Programs and expert advice. We have a huge selection of new and used concession equipment with programs we can fit into your budget. Contact us today to learn more and start building your profitable concession business!